COVID-19 Pandemic Event Visa
Who is eligible to apply for the COVID-19 Australian Government Endorsed Event (AGEE) stream of the Temporary Activity (subclass 408) visa?
The COVID-19 Pandemic event visa is available to people who are:
- in Australia
- are unable to depart Australia due to COVID-19
- have 28 days or less remaining on their current visa or where their last temporary visa has expired less than 28 days ago
- are not eligible for any other visa based on their intended activities or
- have evidence from their employer that they have ongoing work in a critical sector and that an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident cannot fill the position.
Working in critical sectors
- Working holiday makers working in critical sectors such as agriculture, food processing, health care, aged care, disability care and childcare who are not eligible for any other visa and are unable to return to their home country can apply for the COVID-19 Pandemic event visa.
- Seasonal Worker Programme visa holders with visas due to expire within 28 days are also able to apply for the COVID-19 Pandemic event visa.
- Other temporary visa holders whose visas are about to expire, have no other visa options, are unable to return to their home country and who are working in critical sectors may apply for the COVID-19 Pandemic event visa. Evidence of this work will need to be submitted with the application.
Visa of last resort
Other temporary visa holders may apply for the COVID-19 Pandemic event visa only where there is no other visa option and it is not possible to leave Australia due to the COVID-19 pandemic. This will allow you to remain lawfully in Australia until it is safe and practical for you to return to your home country.
- You should only apply for this visa is you are unable to depart Australia, your temporary visa expires in less than 28 days (or did not expire more than 28 days ago) and you have no other visa options available to you.
- If you are not working in a critical sector, you can only apply for the COVID-19 Pandemic event visa if you have no other visa options available to you.
- People who are working in critical sectors will be given permission to work on their COVID-19 Pandemic event visa. All other people holding this visa will not have permission to work.